Friday, March 20, 2009

SENIORITIS (By: Courtney Weatherly)

Senioritis: the word senior plus the suffix -itis (which refers to inflammation but in colloquial speech is assumed to mean an illness), is a colloquial term used in the United States to describe the decreased motivation toward studies displayed by students who are nearing the end of their high school or college careers (defined by Wikipedia).

I know that Wikipedia is not a “valid source” but I’m pretty sure this sums up what I am feeling. Here we are in the final weeks of school and the end is so far away. My countdown currently says 43 Days 7 Hours 29 Minutes and 40 Seconds until May 2, which of course is Graduation day. Every time I think of something productive that I have to get done, immediately thoughts of running through fields of daisies come into my head and I forget everything productive I was trying to accomplish. I end up going on a bike ride, talking on the phone, or even sitting in the library aimlessly staring. However, this week is different. It is here! The one week I can try to cure this senioritis, the one week I don’t have to think about homework.

SPRING BREAK!

Now I know what you are thinking, take a trip to Mexico, lay by the pool, soak up the much needed sun, and shop but that is nowhere close to what I do. I hate Mexican food, I don’t like swimming, I don’t tan - I burn, and I do not have the resources to shop. What I needed more than anything was to go home.

There is something so refreshing about coming home after a long time at school. It seems like you forget the little things about home until you come home and experience them all over again. I know for me, I love to hear the football game on Sunday after church in the living room while my dad is watching. I love being able to go to the store with my mom and push the cart around adding things when she’s not looking. Driving is much simpler here, the one freeway that goes through town only has 2 lanes and is never jammed. I especially love coming home to my dogs and playing fetch with them. Going to my home church is so refreshing because I have grown up with everyone there and I feel so comfortable. Though I love being at school, I also love coming home to spend time with friends and family to rejuvenate (getting laundry done for free is also a major plus).

So for the rest of the weekend, I am going to try to get in as much rest and relaxation so that I can cure this bad case of senioritis. A little home cooking, loving on my dog and being with my family should hold me over... for a week or two.












Courtney Weatherly


1 comment:

  1. i'm right there with you court, senioritis is tough to fight against! I think spring break may have helped a little.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete