Friday, March 20, 2009

And the Beat Goes On (By: Christina Fuentes)

Turn on a good song and I'm the friend in the car who knows each lyric and guitar riff to almost every song. And if I don't, I'll learn it and add it to the library of music that makes up my mind. I have major difficulty answering the question of my favorite song or type of music because I take interest in various artists and genres.

Music strikes the chords of my heart in unexplainable ways. Whenever I go to a show I find it absolutely imperative that I find my way up to the front so I can literally feel the music and almost completely lose my hearing. This may sound painful to you, but to me, it's the closest to heaven that I'll ever be... and I don't want to go home right now -- what the?! (Goo Goo Dolls, get OUT of my head).

Here are a couple of pictures of bands that rocked my socks live, mostly rock/alternative bands:

Say Anything at the Grove in Anaheim. These guys are seriously out of control with their energy. Every band member had a mic and I'm pretty sure that was to emphasize certain parts of their songs, and it worked. The crowd was totally into it. Oh and the lead vocalist Max Bemis sticks out his tongue after every other word he sings. Why? Because he can.

Angels and Airwaves at the Wiltern in Los Angeles. Probably one of the most amazing shows I've ever been to. Even thinking about the lighting and ambiance of the entire night makes my hairs stand. Their music makes me feel like I'm flying, which is their intention, I'm sure. Their set was pure perfection.They rocked... end of story.

The Almost at the Soma in San Diego, a smaller venue but fantastic nontheless. The lead singer, Aaron Gillespie is the drummer from the band Underoath and The Almost is his side project. Aaron, you genius, you.

Anberlin also at the Soma in San Diego. This was just after they released their new album New Surrender. Stephen Christian, the lead singer was so sincere and thanked the crowd several times after each song. He seemed really, well, nice. The drummer threw a water bottle and it landed in my crossed arms. It was unopened and quite refreshing in the midst of the blazing heat and sweat in the crowd.They were awesome and so is their new album.

Among others that are not pictured:

Sleeping Giant at a venue in Chino. So powerful. You need to see them live for yourself. It'll do you some good, humble you, and make you crazy for Jesus.

Emery also at the Soma and they were SO much fun. These guys can work the stage. Personally, I'm not that into them, but if you can give me a legitimate reason to be, I'll reconsider.

I absolutely plan to and MUST see:

Coldplay - I seem to have missed them EVERY time they're in So Cal. Not okay, not okay at all.

Blink 182 - reunited and it feels so good. I know you're excited to see them too. This brings back major teenage memories.

Incubus - one of my favorites. Hopefully they release something new and tour in our area soon.

What rock experiences have you had?



Christina Fuentes


No comments:

Post a Comment