Thursday, March 26, 2009

Poor Starving College Students (By: Tim Cahill)

The most common characteristic that I have found among college students is that they don’t have money. The common title for students is “starving student”.The typical “poor starving college student” diet consists of Top Ramen noodle soup, while their entertainment normally consists of being creative. Luckily, I have not had this much trouble. Although I try to be wise with my money, I have been blessed at CBU to have a job on campus.
Since my freshman year, I have had a job on the campus of CBU. I worked in the Financial Aid office for almost a year, and then switched over to the Bookstore a few months after leaving the office. There are two things that make on campus jobs better than all others: there is no commute (which is so nice), and your boss' understand that academics are a priority.

The bookstore has been my favorite job ever! There are many reasons to love the bookstore. First, I think my bosses are amazing. Carol is the manager of the bookstore and she is like my Southern California Mom. She takes care of all of us. She brings in cookies, doughnuts, and fruit (for when we're trying to be healthy!). Not only does she bring us food, but she is also concerned with what is going on in our lives. Carol supports us in school, sports, and family. She’s the best boss I’ve ever had, and it would be very difficult for anyone to beat her at it. Secondly, my co-workers are great people. It is a great way to get to know other people on campus that I may never have hung out with! I have loved every minute of working there (or at least most).
There are a lot of jobs on campus, especially at the beginning of the school year. It is a great opportunity that CBU offers their students and should definitely be taken advantage of. Working on campus doesn’t mean that you’re going to make tons of money, but it has been a means for me to make some money and not be the typical "starving student". It can be difficult to juggle school, work, and fun; but I have definitely enjoyed the opportunity!


Tim Cahill

No comments:

Post a Comment