Friday, March 6, 2009

Closer (By: Christina Fuentes)



Last week in class, I watched a video on the Islam faith. More specifically, the last of the 5 pillars of faith, the pilgrimage to Mecca called Hajj. During one of the highlights of Hajj, Muslims stand all day and pray to Allah. I watched as they prayed with tears coming down their faces, longing to be close to Allah.


This convicted me in more ways than I could have ever imagined. As I watched these Muslims cry out to Allah, my heart was burdened for them because they are trying so hard to seek God, but because they do not believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, they are so far away from Him. Our hearts should be burdened. I was hurting for them and in the same moment, upset with myself. This brought two questions to mind:



Do I long for God so
completely that I find myself in tears, desperate to be as close to him as humanly possible?



Am I living my life in such a way that people can
see Christ through me and want the relationship with Him that I have?



I thank God for being gracious and merciful. I thank Him for not founding my relationship with Him by a ritual of works. But does this mean that I should take Him for granted? Should I only visit Him on Sundays and carry on with the rest of my week?
No. God’s purpose for creating us is so that He can be praised. I find myself selfish in many ways, claiming my life as my own at times. I forget why I’m here. I want to seek God and be completely enveloped in everything that He is.



Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment