Thursday, April 2, 2009

We've got spirit yes we do...(By: Courtney Weatherly)

In High School I loved going to the football games. Maybe it was because I lived in a small town and there was not much to do, but nothing compared to a Friday night football game. Since the amount of enthusiasm for a school’s team can make or break a school’s community, I was worried about the level of spirit I would find at CBU. I knew CBU was a small Christian school so I figured fifteen people would show up at games praying over the other team. NOT TRUE.

CBU has a first class fan base. Regardless of the sport, students are out there wearing their CRAZIES shirt supporting our school and athletic program. I’m pretty sure we are the most crowd in our conference. I would venture to say the most popular sport is basketball. Before the season officially starts, the CAB office (Campus Activities Board) puts on “Midnight Madness” that shows off both men and women basketball teams, complete with a dunk contest. Our biggest rivalry is against Azusa Pacific. Whether the game is in Riverside or Azusa, students from both schools attend and get LOUD. The rivalry just seems to get more intense with every year.

Lately I’ve been going to baseball games. The baseball field was built only two years ago so its very new, and very nice. My friends and I usually go to 7-11 just around the corner from the school to pick up a slurpee and sunflower seeds for the game. Occasionally, we take a book or homework and sit in the sun enjoying the All-American sport. Baseball games are typically in the afternoon when the weather is close to... perfection.

Though I love going and supporting our school, I am not one to make up chants or cheers. I have come to notice that I yell the most stupid things at games. The other day at the baseball game I caught myself yelling “Run Fast!” As if they had never thought to do so. After a few attempts at trying to be an inspiration, I ended up going along with the crowd and stuck to clapping and woo-hooing.

I guess it’s just easier to support a school where athletic ability comes so naturally... Or maybe I’m just biased.



Courtney Weatherly


No comments:

Post a Comment