Thursday, April 16, 2009

Jesus + Me = BFF. (Courtney Weatherly)

I always knew I wanted to go to college upon the completion of my high school education but never really knew where I wanted to go. There were some of my friends who knew exactly where they wanted to go and what it would take to get there, since the 5th grade. My older sister, Sam, went to Fresno Pacific so I was familiar with the Christian school thing. I loved how small the school was and how friendly the people were. Because she played volleyball and my family never missed a game, we got to visit a lot of schools (mostly Christian schools) all over California. By the end of my senior year, I decided that I wanted to go to a Christian school because I simply liked the idea of a Christian school. I began looking around and ended up applying to 6 schools (too many applications). I applied to CBU because my mom saw it online and thought it was worth a shot. Later on in the year, I visited CBU and could see myself fitting in with every aspect of the school. As acceptance letters started to come in and financial aid began to work itself out, I could not see myself anywhere but CBU.

After 4 years of being at CBU it is has become clear to me that God led me here. When I took a tour of the campus, I cannot explain the feeling that came over me that I was right where I was supposed to be. The people were so great (and if you’ve visited, that’s not just an act), the campus was beautiful, and the cafeteria dominated all others. I chose to come to CBU for the surface reasons and never imagined what would happen when I got here.

Looking back, I have realized that my spirituality and faith had never been really challenged before. Something that I can say that CBU truly believes in is encouraging its students to grow in academics as well as in Christ. Through Christian courses, leadership and ISP (International Service Projects) I have found that I have grown more in my time here than in any other time in my life. I have been encouraged to ask questions about what I believe and to not trust in what I have been told. More than anything I have been motivated to share Christ with others. Because CBU has such a great quality of students, I have surrounded myself with people who believe the same as I, and have felt that I have grown with their encouragement and love.

In coming to college, I knew I would grow in academics but never imagined how much I would grow in the Lord. I am so grateful for this progression and cannot put any price or loan amount on how evident this change in me was. These years of growth have been so positive and I am so appreciative the God used CBU in such a great way in my life.

4 comments:

  1. I am only in the 9th grade, well i'll be in 10th in one month! haha i can't wait for summer! anyway, my point was near the beginning of the school year i started looking for colleges and i found CBU's website. From the website it looks like an amazing school! I most definitely want to come to CBU for college! I go on the website a lot and look at what's going on and all. This post really opened my eyes though. I think that it is really great. Most Christian high school's aren't really Christian, that's just the title they put on it. From everything i've read CBU looks like a college where people grow closer to the Lord everyday and make strong Christian friendships as well as get a good education. That's exactly what i'm looking for. So, i just wanted to say thanks for posting this, and maybe you could give me some more info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear anonymous:

    Thank you for your comment! Please feel free to contact me, Karen Bergh, in the administration at California Baptist University and I will be happy to give you information or answer any questions you may have. Courtney may answer your comment, too, but this is the last week of school (graduation is on Saturday), and so you may not hear from her!

    Blessings,

    Karen Bergh
    kbergh@calbaptist.edu

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Anonymous! I would love to talk to you a little more about CBU, if you want feel free to shoot me an email courtney.weatherly@calbaptist.edu
    Have a good day!!

    ReplyDelete